To Hellenic Schools, Parishes, Societies
Dear Sir or Madam,
2012 marks the 100 years of the liberation of Chios from the Ottoman Turks on 11 November 1912. The Chian Federation has planned several events for the year 2012. We will shortly forward to you the program and would love for you and your organization to participate in order to make this year a special one.
The Eleftheria Centennial Committee of The Chian Federation is sponsoring a National Essay Contest and cordially invites the participation of all High School students, College Students and Post Graduates. We would like to reach out to as many young people as possible.
Attached hereto please find the Rules and Guidelines for the Eleftheria Centennial National Contest. In the event that there is a need for any clarifications please contact the Eleftheria Centennial National Essay Contest Committee by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention Eleftheria Centennial National Essay Contest Committee, or by telephone to the Chian Federation at telephone number 718-204-2550.
The essays will be judged by a professor at a college or university with credentials in the history of Chios chosen by the Eleftheria Centennial National Essay Contest Committee.
Please notify all of your members and encourage all eligible contestants to participate. We look forward to receiving essays from all of the eligible contestants in your organization.
Eleftheria Centennial National Essay Contest Committee
RULES AND GUIDELINES FOR THE ELEFTHERIA CENTENNIAL NATIONAL ESSAY CONTEST
- Each contestant must be a full time student at an accredited high school, college/university as an undergraduate or graduate student in the United States or Canada.
- Suggested subjects on which to write an essay.High School Students - Historical events that lead to Chios massacre and the following events through to Chios liberation.
a)The Massacre of the Chiotes by the Ottoman Turks and events leading up to the Massacre.
b) The destruction of the Ottoman Turkish Flagship in Chios harbor by Constantine Kanaris, (include a short history on Constantine Kanaris, including his naval and political career).
c) Liberation of Chios from the Ottoman Turks, 11 November 2012, and the events leading up to the liberation.
- College undergraduates:
a) The socio-cultural aspects of the period from pre-massacre to post liberation.
b) What role did the Greeks and Chians in the diaspora play in the liberation of Chios during that critical time?
a) Socio-economic and demographic consequences of the Chios Massacre by Ottoman Turks1822 to 1912,
b) Brief history of Chios from the Homeric Era to the liberation of Chios in 1912.
- The essay to have a minimum of 1,500 to about 3,500 words on letter-size paper with 1.5 or double spaced lines. Graduate students may need more words for the classical history of Chios from the Homeric period up to the liberation of Chios.
- Each contestant who submits an essay must include the following information:
Telephone / cell phone contact number:
- Deadline: The essay must be received by 11 September 2012 at:
The Chian Federation,
Astoria, Queens New York 11103
Attention: Eleftheria Centennial National Essay Contest Committee.
- The essays may be in Greek or English, and will be judged by a professor at a college or university with credentials in the history of Chios chosen by the Eleftheria Centennial National Essay Contest Committee.
- The Eleftheria Centennial National Essay Contest essay prizes will be: High School Students: 1st Prize - $1,000, 2nd Prize - $ 750, 3rd Prize - $ 500; Undergraduates: 1st Prize - $1,250, 2nd Prize - $ 1,000, 3rd Prize - $ 750; Graduates: 1st Prize - $2,000, 2nd Prize - $ 1,500, 3rd Prize - $ 1,000. The prizes will be awarded on 11 November 2012 at the Eleftheria Centennial Celebration of the Liberation of Chios at the Chian Federation Cultural and Education Center located at 44-01 Broadway, Astoria, Queens New York.
- The first prize essay in each category will be published in the Eleftheria Centennial Commemorative Journal. (3 essays)